Home Forums Habitat Management Grass height

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Maina Handmaker 1 year, 10 months ago
  • Maina Handmaker
    Keymaster
    @shorebird-forum-admin

How tall should the vegetation be for Buff-breasted Sandpipers migrating through Kansas?

Robert Penner
    Participant
    @docbirdy

Generally, shorebirds prefer to feed in vegetation less than half the height of the bird. Here in central Kansas we try to provide fall migratory stop-over habitat by haying, mowing and even selective grazing of our upland sites.

Eugene Young
    Participant
    @eugene-young

Buffies seem to prefer short-grass habitats in KS, and during spring burned prairie (especially the Flint Hills), hay meadows, winter wheat inundated with water, inland salt grass, freshly worked ag fields, even grass farms. Later in the spring migration they seem to prefer shorter vegetation since they often do their lek displays. During fall migration you can find them in slightly taller vegetation, including cut sorghum fields (often using areas between rows), wheat stubble, and overgrazed prairie. Generally, as Penner pointed out, usually they prefer habitat where you can see their body, but in fall, often I find that you see them in vegetation where you can see their heads only, as they work between the vegetation.

Robert Penner
    Participant
    @docbirdy

Great answer Gene
    I would add that I also see them in tall vegetation in the spring where only their head are seen, but in my experience these have been in grasslands which were burned earlier and as you stated these sites allowed them to work between the vegetation.

Maina Handmaker
    Keymaster
    @shorebird-forum-admin

Thank you for the helpful answers, Rob and Gene!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.